Sunday, May 04, 2008

16 months and growing

As luck would have it, we scheduled to have Will's pictures made last weekend on a Saturday morning - before the big accident (see post below). Here are some of my favorites from the session:



And these just crack me up --

The last time I blogged an "update" of how Will was growing was back when he was 13 months old. I cannot tell you how much he has changed in the last 3 months. Back at 13 months, he still had a lot of baby in him, but now - he is all toddler. So, without further ado, here are some of the big "milestones" of where Will is now. (I know its probably boring as heck to most of you but, in large part, I put it here to remember years from now when I look back at Will's babyhood. :) )
* Will is constantly on the move. He doesn't walk or meander - he runs. He doesn't want to be held - he wants DOWN so that he can explore every inch of where you are. Oh yea - and he loves to climb too . . . on anything and anywhere.
* He loves the outdoors. He gets so excited when we take him outside - and we spend most of our weekends in our backyard. I just let him get into as much dirt and mayhem as he wants to and he usually gets stripped down in the garage before coming inside. He loves to play with dirt, kick the ball around, play chase, slide down his slide, or just sit in the dirt and talk to himself. :)
* The most fun thing over the last few weeks has been Will's ability to communicate. He understand SO much now and, although he can't talk back, he can answer questions with a nod and shake of the head. Its fun to be outside and ask him "you ready to go inside now and have dinner" and have him shake his head adamantly and smile. Or you ask him if he wants to go outside and he makes an excited noise or shouts "yeah!". Or ask him if he "wants more" or "wants some applesauce" or "wants some juice", etc etc etc. Everyday he amazes me with how much more he knows and understands. And I love it.
* Bottles are a thing of the past, and I can't say I'm a bit sad. Sippy cups are so much easier.
* Pacifiers . . . okay, they are so NOT a thing of the past. But you know what? I've decided that is OK! Will always gets a paci for naptime and bedtime - its his comfort and signals its time to go to sleep. I also pull it out in dire emergencies too because he will immediately be quiet. So, while I don't let him run around with a pacifier in his mouth, I am perfectly content with giving it to him when he most needs the comfort.
* Will's dancing abilities just crack me up! He loves to dance and move to the music. He has started to twirl with his arms in the air and I just love it! He also knows the motions to "When you're happy and you know it" - a song I've been singing with him since he was a tiny baby.
* The boy has a TEMPER like you wouldn't believe. Whew. If he can't have what he wants, he will pitch an absolute royal fit. But, I've tried telling him to sit down and then sit next to him and talk to him softly about how he can't have X or can't do Y, and, so far, that seems to be working . . . at least some of the time. Sometimes, as my child is running around a store, refusing to sit still for 10 seconds as I run around after him looking like God only knows what - I can't help but wonder what the people around me think. But I'm trying - I really am. You know those kids at, let's say a doctor's waiting room, just sitting quietly in their parent's lap, reading a book or playing with something? Yea...that is NOT William - at all. And that can be quite exhausting.
* Will is definitely a picky eater. He likes turkey hotdogs, chicken nuggets, pizza, cheese, grilled cheese, peanut butter & jelly, carrots, cereal bars and fig newtons, bread and applesauce . . . and that is about it when it comes to meal cuisine. (At least at home...I think he eats better at day care with all the other kids.) Strangest thing (I think) is that he hates fruit - won't touch it. Strawberries, bananas, melons, pineapple, blueberries - I've tried it all.
* Will talks a lot, but is still just learning to say "real" words (although he certainly understands most of what you say). But he does know, and occasionally use: daddy, kitty, mama, choo choo, cheese, juice, night night, bye, hi, balloon, Elmo!, fish, ball, uh oh, and he knows a cow goes "moo" . . . And today's new word? "Bubbles!"
* Books are really Will's favorite toy. He loves to flip the pages (usually faster than you can read the words). Every morning, he picks up a book, brings it to me, and wants me to sit on the floor so he can sit in my lap while I read the book to him. That's usually how he wants to read his books - in someone's lap who holds the book while he flips the pages. And he has started to point at things in the book and say what they are - fish, ball and kitty are the most popular. I hope this love of books continues!
* The best thing that's developed in the past 3 months? HUGS and kisses! There is nothing better in the whole entire world than when I get down on my knees, spread my arms wide, and ask Will if he'll give me a hug and see him run to me with a grin, wrap his arms around my neck and squeeze. Love it, love it, love it. And he is just starting to learn to give you a kiss too. (He mastered blowing kisses a long time ago.) If you ask for a kiss though, he just opens his mouth wide in a big grin and plants it somewhere on your face.

2 comments:

Julie said...

He is adorable! And Jennifer is right, he is starting to look more like you.

Jennifer said...

I love the last pictures where Will is making those cute faces!!!