So, it all started last night. I had Braxton Hicks contractions that actually kept waking me up. They started to make me anxious because I wasn't positive they were just practice contractions, or whether they were real contractions or what was going on. And I ended up only getting about 4 hours of sleep last night (as did poor Ellis).
Then, at 8 this morning, Ellis and I went to meet with Dr. Castles, a pediatrician that Jennifer highly recommended to us. We were both very impressed with him and the practice, so despite the lack of sleep we both had the night before, things were going well.
My 36 week appointment was at 9:00. Ellis wasn't planning on coming but after the night I had, I told him I wanted him there. Thank God he was! Baby's heart rate and everything seemed good. My cervix had not dilated or effaced so any worries I may have had the night before were alleviated. But the doctor couldn't feel the baby (probably because I am carrying so high) so we waited for her to do an ultrasound to determine whether Will was still breeched or not. At this point, I was about 95% positive he was in the same position, but I was not worried about it because the doctor at my 34 week appointment didn't seem to think the breeched position was a problem. From what I understood, we had plenty of time to see if he would turn, and it could happen even right up until I went into labor.
As I suspected, we saw Will's big head on the ultrasound screen - its still up at the top of my uterus. The guy has not moved since he was big enough to be in a breeched position. Something tells me he is going to have some stubborness in him! :)
The doctor then proceeded to tell us that we had 2 options at this point. We could try the inversion procedure to see if they can get the baby to turn. My doctor's practice does not do inversions, so she would need to set up a consultation with one of the high risk OBs at the hospital if we wanted to try it. Otherwise, we needed to schedule a c-section. As most of you know, I really really wanted a vaginal birth. I didn't want a scheduled induction and I didn't want a scheduled c-section. So the information was a bit overwhelming - needless to say, there were quite a bit of tears on my part. But we talked to the doctor for a while about all of this. If we do the c-section, they want to do it when I am 38 or 39 weeks - which means the week before Christmas or the 26th or 27th. (If Will ever complains about his birth date, I'll just have to explain to him that it was all his fault ... I tried to keep him in until January, I really did.)
The doctor said that 2 weeks ago she would have told me that I had plenty of time for him to turn and not to worry about it. But now I am very close to being full term, and they want to discuss options and make sure we have a plan in case he does not turn. She said that the chances he turns at this point are very slim because he does not have the room to do it, plus, if he drops into my pelvis as labor approaches, he really won't be able to.
I have heard things about this inversion procedure and do not have much faith in it. Ellis and I agreed we should explore our options and at least talk with the doctor - but I told him I'd be going with great pessimism. I know it can be a painful procedure for mom, can lead to complications for baby where we end up having an emergency c-section, and it doesn't have the best probability of success. Of course, I know it can work too, and let us have a more natural and safer birth. But if any of you have experiences about this inversion procedure you could share with me (commenting on the blog or sending me an email), I would really appreciate your sharing it with me so Ellis and I can make a good, informative decision and have some additional questions for the doctor. (Although I'd like to avoid hearing the worst horror stories ever, please!!)
After the appointment, I was definitely upset and knew I couldn't go to work right away. I came home and talked to some family and friends and, most importantly, Ellis and I had some time to mull it over. I felt a lot better by the time I headed into work around 2. People at work (well...most of them anyway) have been fabulous about my pregnancy. My boss told me that I really just needed to take care of the baby and if I needed to start my maternity leave now, he would understand. But its all so up in the air right now, I couldn't tell him for sure when it would be. I know I'm not ready to start yet.
Ellis has been wonderful throughout all of this - he is very much my rock through situations like this and helps me see the good things and prevent me from over-stressing about the bad things. The important thing is for Will to come out safely and healthy, and if a c-section is what we have to do, then that is what we will be prepared to do.
So, the plan at this point is to wait to have the consultation with the high risk OB about the inversion procedure. Ellis and I want to wait until after Christmas to have the c-section, and we both have lots more questions to talk to the doctors about, which I guess we will get to early next week. (My next appointment is Wednesday.)
Of course, now we're both realizing how we need to really make sure we are READY for this baby! :) Ellis is finally putting up my shelves in the nursery as I type this. The store called today and said my glider and ottoman are in so it is being delivered Saturday. Hopefully, I will have pictures of the "finished" nursery to share after this weekend.
'Course, little Will could surprise us all and flip tonight! Wouldn't that be wonderful??