Sunday, May 16, 2010

Big News

With everything that is going on around here - the girls being preemies, Ellis's work being demanding, his mother having a stroke, and just being a new mom to 3 children - I began to get nervous that my 12-week maternity leave was coming to an end on June 21st. The girls would be an adjusted age of only 7-weeks and I doubt we will have any idea of how to really handle all of this when they are still that young. The idea of returning to work, even on my reduced schedule, seemed enormously daunting.

Last week, I was able to work it out with the firm I work at to give me additional leave. I will now have the summer to try and get a handle on everything, returning to work on August 30th. It will mean some definite budget crunches around here since we'll be missing a paycheck for a while, but the minute I got the okay that everything would work, an ENORMOUS weight lifted off my shoulders. I felt like I didn't have to rush everything, it was okay that my girls were still being one-week newborns or that Ellis was unable to be here a lot right now - because we had TIME. Whew!!! I seriously can't tell you how lucky I feel that we can take this option and that the folks I work with were as understanding as they were.

Hooray!

2 comments:

Marie said...

Oh wow- that is awesome! I'm glad you've got some weight lifted now...you deserve it! You're doing an excellent job, Em!

Christa said...

That is wonderful news, Emily. So happy it worked out.