I am reminded these days of the fact that the girls really are preemies. At 5 weeks, Will had been cooing and mimicking us for a couple weeks and started to smile. Catie and Carter still act like newborn babies, but their adjusted age is just one day old - their original due date was May 4th. Its nice to have my "me time" in between their feedings because they still really do pretty much just eat and then go back to sleep until 3 hours later for their next meal. But, I am also very ready for them to begin to interact with us. I know it will come though (and then I will miss their sleepy days) and that I must be patient with them, remembering that they were born 5 weeks early.
Taking care of the girls continues to be much easier than it was with Will when he was this age because they actually sleep in a crib or in their Boppy lounger seats. (Will had to be held all the time and was extremely fussy.) The other night, they slept for almost 5 hours straight. I felt so restful yesterday because of it that I took the little girls on our first adventure to Walmart. It went great - Catie slept through it and Carter was awake the whole time staring at everything. And I felt a great sense of accomplishment in handling the twins at a store. (I don't have much room in the shopping cart for much else - I can tell you that!)
I am watching them very closely though because their stools both tested positive for blood last Friday indicating that they were having some digestive problems. They are on Neosure (a preemie formula with extra calories that breaks down the milk protein for easier digestion), and I am weening my breastmilk supply. For 2 days, I gave them only formula. Then, yesterday, I gave them only breastmilk and after only a couple feedings, they both started to scream and cry -- I got my first taste of what that was like. So, my remaining milk is going in the freezer to be used with rice cereal down the road. Despite my promise not to beat myself up about it this time around, I still agonized about putting them on formula. However, I had a ROUGH time with Will when he couldn't digest the breastmilk well and I am not putting myself or the girls through that. I'm proud that I pumped 8 times a day when they were in the NICU and the first 2 1/2 weeks that they were home to give them the milk when they really needed it. Will was raised on formula since 4 weeks and is just fine ... so there - I've said my peace about all that and will STOP agonizing about it all.
I hate to post anything negative or sad with the girls' 5 week old post, and I struggled with mentioning it at all. However, the history of the girls and Will on this blog is shaped by these events, so I could not avoid mentioning it any longer. All of this has added a new, unexpected dimension to being a mom of twins, but we are so blessed that they are healthy and doing so well.
4 comments:
Girl, you got your hands full! We are thinking about y'all constantly and cannot wait to get down there to see everyone! The girls look so great!!! You guys are doing an amazing job!!!
Alex definitely went through a rough period when Cate was born. I thought it was his age, but I realize now that it would have happened no matter what age he was. It's a big change.
Emily, you are doing awesome! The girls are absolutely beauiful. I can't imagine what you are going through, and if you need anything, please get my number from Lindsey and call me because I am always around!
I will say a prayer for your whole family. This is a crazy time in your lives and I hope that your Nanny gets better soon.
Emily,
The girls look great. I am so sorry to hear about Nanny. Please let me know if y'all need anything.
Ariail
Do NOT beat yourself up. You are doing an amazing job! Will say some prayers for Nanny.
Post a Comment