Thursday, September 09, 2010

Update on Catie

Well, we're still here in the hospital.  Catie threw up all over the place at 10pm last night.  It was a long night for both of us because she couldn't seem to get comfy.  Dr. is giving her more meds to help with congestion and irritation in her esophagus.  We have been slowly increasing the strength of her bottles.  I just fed her pure formula for the first time in a long time.  She is laying very still on her boppy pillow, and I'm crossing my fingers this stays down.  If she throws up again, her doctor is going to call a GI specialist to look at her.  We won't be heading home until she can make it a whole night without throwing up.

Update:  I really thought things might go okay tonight, but Catie threw up everything at 9pm tonight.  She is back on Pedialyte for the night and we'll be seeing the GI specialist tomorrow.  Looks like we will likely be here through the weekend.  I hope not longer -- we are trying not to think of the worst of what could be going on.  I'm beginning to think we are looking at a very bad reflux problem.  Maybe?  She holds down food during the day - the vomiting happens at night or first thing in the morning.  Preemies are more likely to have reflux issues.  I pray that we can figure this out and that the problem can be solved with just some special medicine. 

Another Update:  We just saw the GI doctor and, thank goodness!, he does not see the need to run any tests right now.  He thinks this is a reflux issue or perhaps a mild intolerance to the soy formula.  He is changing her reflux medicine dosage and checking to make sure there is no blood in her stool to indicate any problems with the formula.  Because she is only throwing up once or twice a day, he said he is not really concerned.  In fact, he said if she continued to do it for another week, he would not be worried - as long as she continued to gain weight.  She lost a good bit over the last week but she was also put on Pedialyte a lot, and he wants us to give her full strength feeds only.  Anyway - its 3:30pm and I am just waiting to hear from her doctor on whether he will discharge us or not.  I'm definitely not packing a thing until I get the actual word - don't want to jinx it! 

2 comments:

Christa said...

praying for great results and a speedy discharge home. hang in there.

Kathy said...

Oh no!!! Poor Catie, I really hope that she gets better soon...I will keep my eye on your blog for updates....