Wednesday, July 20, 2011

15 months and counting

Last Wednesday, the girls went in for their 15-month well visit.  Everything checked out wonderfully.  Catie is a bit bowlegged, so I was concerned of what that might mean, but the doctor said she is more along the lines of a 12-month old developmentally and he expected to see her start to grow out of it by 2 years.  Carter has caught up with her age group, being more in line with an average 15-month old.  Here are their stats:

Carter:
Weight - 21.2 lbs (25th percentile)
Height - 30 in (30th percentile)
Head Circumference - 17 7/8 in (25th percentile)

Catie:
Weight - 18.4 lbs (less then 5th percentile) (so I still can't turn her around in the car seat! darn it!)
Height - 28 in (less then 5th percentile)
Head Circumference - 17 in (less then 5th percentile)

Catie is just the smallest thing.  This time, all of her measurements plotted off the growth curve.  But, she is growing with the curve - just at her own pace - so there is nothing to worry about (thankfully!).  I suspect she will grow into being a petite little thing.

For her size, Catie is definitely the dramatic, attention seeker.  She is our little drama queen.  Carter is more reserved and pensive, especially in new situations.  Carter is more like our little beauty queen.  :-)

The girls still do not speak yet but they are just starting to learn a few words.  Uh oh and "hi!" have been words they have known for a while.  They are just starting to say "mama" and "baby" and I think Carter is doing a little better with those words than Catie.  Catie can say "pee-pie" when she plays peek-a-boo.  She loves to cover her eyes with her hands and then take them away and say "pee-pie!" 

The girls got their first baby dolls a couple weeks ago.  If you tell them to "rock the baby" they will hold their baby close to them and turn back and forth.  Its so cute.  This morning, Carter's baby was on the other side of the room and I said "where's the baby, Carter?" and she went over, picked up her baby, walked back over to me and held it up for me to see.  I am amazed how quickly they are starting to understand.  Catie is very good at pointing at things she wants, which is very helpful.

The girls are also quickly entering the tantrum phase.  Oh my.  This is when I wish I had taught them sign language.  They will cry and scream about something and you have to try and scramble to figure out what it is.  Right now, I am working hard at breaking their habit of them crying hysterically at you in the kitchen as soon as you start to prepare their meals.  Being patient at meal time is not either of their forte.

Carter and Catie are starting to play a little bit more with each other, but overall, they are not the best of friends really.  Inevitably, whatever the other has is far more interesting and "sharing" is not a concept they are grasping yet. They also tend to get very jealous if the other one is getting more of Mommy's (or Daddy's or Faith's) attention. 

They love their brother and I love to see them interact with him.  Carter has found a new game with Will that they both love.  She drops her sippy cup on the floor, Will picks it up, starts to walk away, and Carter drops it again - over and over and over - with Will and Carter both howling with laughter.  The girls would also both much rather play in Will's room with his toys than their own, especially if Will is in there with them. 

Carter has 4 teeth and whole lot more hair. Little bows are finally staying in her hair which I love!  Catie has 5 or 6 teeth but still not a lot of hair on her head.

They have also now officially eating all foods out there.  I gave them peanut butter for the first time just a short while ago.  Hooray!  No allergy!  And Catie, like her brother, loves her some peanut butter. 

I know there is probably a billion other things I could think of to say about them and I'm just not thinking of them right now.  I do wish I had more pictures but, I swear, every time I pick up my camera, someone breaks down, someone gets injured or someone doesn't want to play anymore.  Sigh.  This evening, I was out in the driveway with all of the kids, having a great time while we waited for Daddy to came home.  I grabbed my camera, came back to take pictures of the nice moment -- and then Carter went dashing down the driveway, as I looked back at Will to tell him not to ride his scooter down the driveway right then, Carter tripped over the curb and scraped up her knee pretty good.  So, everyone went back inside and I patched up little Carter's knew and....no pictures!  Its crazy around here, but I can honestly say that I wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments: