Friday, September 22, 2006

24 Week Check-up

Well, I am actually 25 weeks and one day today, but I have been a slacker in keeping my blog updated. I went for my 24 week check-up last Thursday and most everything looked good.

I went in to take that glucose test. The orange fizzy drink they give you wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Just sort of boring hanging around the doctor's office for an hour to wait until they can draw your blood to test for gestational diabetes. (I will get the result back next time.) I measured right on target - my uterus is 24 cm which is just what it should be at 24 weeks. And I heard the little guy's heartbeat again - going strong at 132. Love hearing that.

I also learned that my blood is O negative - which surprised me. I never knew my blood type until now. Unfortunately, because my blood is RH negative I get to have this wonderful shot at my next appointment. Apparently, if this baby's blood is RH positive, my body will develop antibodies during pregnancy and birth so that, if we have another child who is RH positive, my body would reject the embryo as a foreign body and make me miscarry. So - to protect a future child we may have - I have to get this exciting shot. (At least, that is my elementary, non-doctor understanding of all this. Feel free to let me know if I'm wrong in the comments!) Anyway, don't know why, but I am picturing this really long, painful needle. Hopefully it won't be - I'm usually very good with shots.

One other thing came out of the appointment - kind of good and kind of bad. Good, because I get an ultrasound next appointment; Bad, because we are checking to see if I have placenta previa. Best description of it and the possible complications are here. Basically, at my 20 weeks ultrasound, it showed a low-lying placenta, which meant that my placenta, rather than being in the middle of my uterus, was close to my cervix, lying low. If it stays there, it can cause some not-great complications, including bleeding, pre-term labor, c-section, etc. Good news is that 15-20% of second trimester ultrasounds show a low-lying placenta and only 5% of those turn out to really be placenta previa. Usually, the placenta moves upward as the uterus grows. SO - this all being said, the doctor is giving me another ultrasound at my 28 week appointment so we can check and see if the placenta has moved as my uterus grew. The doctor and ultrasound technician really didn't seem to be worried - just want to be cautious and check it out next time - so I am determined not to worry unless I have to. :)

But at least will have another chance to see the little guy again - and hopefully get some better pictures of him where he doesn't look like a screaming skeleton! :)

In other wonderful news - Ellis finally felt the baby kick a week ago today. When he starts kicking now, you can see my tummy move. Its pretty funny. I LOVE feeling him kick. Like yesterday, I was in the firm's library researching and suddenly - there he was - saying "Hi mom, How are you this morning!" Love that. He is most active between about 9-11 pm after I eat dinner. Looks like he might be a night owl like his father!!

No comments: