Will developed a cold last week that turned into a bad, runny nose - coughing and sneezing - with a temperature Saturday morning. It is so pitiful to see his eyes all watery and droopy ... Anyway, we went to his pediatrician and, as I feared, ear infection #3 had reared its ugly head. Will has now had an ear infection just about every 30 days in the summer months. Because we are in the middle of summer, when kids are least likely to get them, we want to stop these infections before the "bad" seasons approach. So, we are seeing an ENT soon and, I am fairly confident, we will get tubes put in.
Ellis and I knew this would need to happen - although I was hoping Will would be a little older. Unfortunately, and I guess fortunately, Will is too young for anesthesia so the tubes will be put in while he is awake. The idea makes me tear up to think about. But the doctor said it would be about as painful as when he scrapes Will's ears of wax so he can check for an ear infection. Will screams bloody murder when the pediatrician does it, but he tolerates it well. Although it will not be fun for Will - or his parents - I think tubes are the best option for him, even if he is only 7 months old. Other than these ear infections, he really has been pretty healthy. And if it will prevent the pain of ear infections down the road, I think we should do it.
Of course, final decisions will be made after we discuss it with the ENT. But if any of you parents out there have some pearls of wisdom for us about tubes, they would be much appreciated! :-) (I know most kids get them nowadays and that it is a fairly minor procedure.)
On a happier note - I was able to post some new pictures of Will over the weekend, so check out the posts below.
Monday, July 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I think you are smart to go ahead and see an ENT. I regret waiting so long to see an ENT with Alex, and I won't make the same mistake with Cate if she starts having ear infections.
Poor little guy, I hope he is feeling better.
Sydney has had 4-5 ear infections depending on how you count them. If she gets another one we're going to be going to the ENT too. The pediatrician and I don't want her under general anesthesia if we can help it but even the heavy dose antibiotics don't always work now. I'm sorry y'all are dealing with this already. We were lucky it didn't start until 8-9 months. I want to hear all about your ENT visit and the procedure if you get it. Give little Will some hugs for me.
I had tubes twice as a kiddo, without anesthesia and of course, I don't remember a thing. My mom can recount every moment, but it made a huge difference with no more ear infections.
Post a Comment