Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My son, the artist

This week, Will drew his first piece of artwork in his new classroom at day care. So here it is ... the first piece of "kid art" on our refrigerator! (Mommy is so proud.)Also, Will has now turned 14 months old. This past month has seen big changes in Will. He really understands what you are saying -- and often chooses to ignore it! :) When Will starts to do something he knows he isn't supposed to, he shakes his head back and forth (as in "no"). Its too funny - but also tells me that he does understand now what he is and is not allowed to do. With this new understanding, he is also testing limits for sure (which makes Mommy a bit crazy sometimes).

Will loves to make funny faces in the mirror and laugh at himself, which is adorable. After bathtime, I put the hippo towel on him (it has a hood that has the eyes, ears and nose of a hippo) and he just laughs when he sees himself with it.

Will was talking lots but I've noticed fewer words over the last week or two. The funniest one is "think think think." Will loves My Friends Tigger and Pooh on the Disney channel, and it has this "Think Think Think" song in the middle of each episode that he always dances too. The other weekend, at the end of the song, that boy said "think think think!" And then did it again when I sang the song back to him.

It appears that Will's first word - Daddy - doesn't really mean Ellis anymore. Daddy has become the generic word for pictures of anything and anyone. He'll point at the pictures on the fridge and say "Daddy" - or pictures in a book - or pictures of other family members - ... you get the idea. Can't say I mind too much because he refuses to say "Mommy", so at least I don't feel left out anymore.

Of course, the change to the Toddler 1 class has been a big move this month. Will continues to make the adjustment very well, and I think he really enjoys all of the play time he gets to have now. And - get this - not only has Will slept on his mat every day - yesterday, he took an almost 2 hour nap on the mat!! Go Will!!

I just love this little booger.

4 comments:

Julie said...

What a big boy! They grow so fast. Enjoy the art now. One day you will find yourself throwing it in the trash when they aren't looking because otherwise you could wallpaper your whole darn house with it!

Marie said...

How cute! I've heard of parents taking digital pictures of their kids' artwork and then making them screensavers on their computers to be able to view without becoming a fire hazard! Anna likes to point out the artwork we brought home from school that's on the fridge. I think she's proud of it! :)

Ariail said...

The digital photo approach sounds good. We only have about 2 months of artwork and it is taking over the house.

Jennifer said...

Yeah, I am going to start scanning the artwork into the computer and only saving enough for a (future) scrapbook. Julie's right...it does get overwhelming but then you feel guilty for throwing it out....