Sunday, June 01, 2008

A Funny Boy at 17 Months

Will is changing by leaps and bounds now that he is 17 months. He really does understand so much, and it amazes me every day what I can say or do that he picks up on. Like, this weekend, Will lost his shoe as he was playing in the back yard. Ellis told him to "bring me your shoe." And Will went and got it and promptly brought it over to Ellis for it to be put back on. (I know, its the little things that impress us as parents. But I was in shock I tell you!) He is very famliar with all the normal commands - no, sit down, stand up, lie down, time to go to bed, etc. His favorite - "no you can't have that" or "no, you can't have more." That will start a tantrum of wailing in no time. The day care has started to use time out when he is misbehaving, so we're prepared to start using it as well.


Will babbles a lot and loves to imitate sounds you make, but he isn't a huge talker (with words we know) yet. He knows a random range of words - mommy (used very infrequently), daddy, diddy (his pacifier), balloon, blue, moo (for what a cow says), kitty, juice, cheese, shoe, Elmo, a ball! (usually said with great excitement as in "look there is A BALL!"), more (we're working on "more, please"), no ... and, of course, he is good at nodding or shaking his head in answer to any question you might ask him (even if you weren't necessarily looking for a response).


My little boy is such a comic though - he loves to make you laugh. And if he is successful, he will do the particular funny thing over and over. For instance, he has recently learned that if he sticks his fingers in his ears, he can't hear as well. It is hilarious to see him stick those fingers in there and start smiling in amazement, and then all we can do is laugh at him. So, of course he does it over and over. Although strong willed and constantly on the move, Will is a such a happy child, and I can't ask for much more than that.


He also loves to dance to songs and, when the song is finished, clap and shout "YAY" at the top of his lungs. His favorites for us to sing to him (some of which he knows the motions to) - the Chicken Dance, He's Got the Whole World in His Hands, The Itsy Bitsy Spider, When You're Happy and You Know It. I need to capture him dancing to one of these on video to share. Its just terribly cute.


His favorite thing in the world right now is to check out Elmo on the computer. I'm afraid Missy at the day care is to blame for this one. (Ahem!) But I am equally guilty because I have shown him that the computer at home also has Elmo on it and taken him to the Sesame Street website to listen to Elmo. He LOVES it. Anytime he sees a computer screen, he points at it gleefully and shouts "Melmo!".






Will has also really become interested in drawing! I am eager to get him some more "artsy" projects that he might enjoy. If anyone has suggestions on great art projects or art things to purchase for around Will's age, please let me know!


1 comment:

Julie said...

What a doll! He looks very big playing on the computer.

(by the way, I see you got the Athleta catalog...very cute stuff)