Friday, July 11, 2008

18 Months

Dear William,

You are now quite the toddler at 1 and 1/2 years old, and I am loving every minute with you right now. You are so much fun! You love to play with people, be around people, mimic people and make people laugh. And I guess that is why you are just spoiled rotten at the day care. You really have the run of the place, and you love to go and see "Issy" every morning. Its fantastic that you are so happy there (even if I do chastise them a bit for spoiling you so bad...).

You are soaking everything up like a sponge now - there is nothing that gets passed you. And your Daddy and I are amazed every day by the new things you can say. I can't even list all of the words you know any more because its that many. Daddy told me last night you proudly pointed to each of you foods on your dinner plate and identified them as "hotdog," "peas" and "ketchup." Your favorite words seem to be "duck" (you'll point out any duck you see - in a book, in a picture, a toy, etc) and "stuck" for when either you are stuck or something you want is stuck. That cracks me up! And your most popular phrase, by far, is "want some." As in - you "want some" more food or drink.

Its amazing to me how much you understand what we say too. And that is what I love so much about the age you are at now. I have to admit, 14-16 months was pretty hard. You were starting to really have opinions about what you wanted to eat, do, play with, etc, but you were not very good at expressing it. I think that age range for us involved a lot of miscommunication. But now, I feel like you and I are getting the hang of it. And its so much fun to actually communicate with you now!

You are crazy about "shoes." You love to try on Daddy's and Mommy's shoes, and get very frustrated when they won't stay on your feet when you walk. You even loved your new shoes when we went and bought you a pair of sandals. You kept pointing at them and declaring "shoes!"

You have got to be Elmo's biggest fan. I mean, you are obssessed with Elmo. You can't pass a computer screen without demanding to see Elmo who I think you think lives in the computer. You love your Elmo books, and often times will adamantly declare "Elmo!" at bedtime if I did not include it in the 3 books we read before lights out. We'll have to read an Elmo book then.

Although you love Elmo and books with him in it, your favorite book by a landslide is Clip-Clop by Nicola Smee. I found it at the library, and have had to renew and re-check it out for 2 months now. You specially request that book every single night by saying "clip-clop" and pointing at it. Although Daddy and I are getting a little sick of it, it has taught you to identify horse, duck, cat, dog and pig. (And you can say most of those too.) I have to buy that book for you so we can return the library one. It is obviously a keeper.

You eat just about everything now, although you remain a pretty picky eater at home. I have learned from the day care though that you shovel in all kinds of food there, including all kinds of fruit, and are one of the class's biggest eaters! So, I've discovered you aren't as picky as you are trying to make me think. I think the problem is that I am not cooking and providing you with enough different foods, and I'm going to try and change that. Its just hard because I swear you start to absolutely starve by 6pm, and on weeknights, we are just getting home then. For example, on weekends, I'd like to make you eggs and grits for breakfast, which I know you love, but you MUST have your breakfast right away. Its all got to be instant for you, son. And you know what you eat every morning? Nutrigrain bars (at least 2) and milk. It cracks Daddy and I up how you eat it - you shovel in a bunch of the cereal bar and then slurp the milk over it, put the sippy cup back down, and then swallow the Nutrigrain bar in your mouth. I guess your going to be the kind to dip your cookies and oreos in milk, huh?

You have so many other funny antics, I wish I could remember and write them all down. Like, your favorite number is "Two." And you say it like you are counting, dragging out the word and raising your voice as you say it. (Thats the only way I know how to describe it). I can't get you to say one, or three, or any other number, but you will say "Twooooo" if you are 'counting' things or we're counting to three to jump or twirl or swim or do some other crazy thing.

Well, you've also successfully picked out a name for Grandpa - all on your own. It is undeniable that my dad is "Bapa" to you. We all love it. And, oh my gosh, Will, you love your Bapa. You get horribly excited if we ask you if you want to go and see "Bapa", and if we go over to your grandparents house, you now recognize it from the driveway and start declarling "Bapa, Bapa, Bapa." And when Bapa is around? Well, no one else really is present in the room for you. You've got eyes only for Bapa who will do pretty much whatever you want him to. :)

I know I'm biased because you are my son, but seriously, Will, you are SO FREAKIN' CUTE! Lots of days at work, I'll stare at the pictures of you on my screen saver and envision you running at me grinning from ear to ear to give me a big hug. I love, love, love it. Getting kisses from you are the best. And to hear you proudly declare "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy" when you want my attention or want something from me -- I have a darn hard time saying no to what you want.

You are the best thing ever Willum!

Love,
Mommy

1 comment:

Julie said...

You are biased of course, he's your son. But, you're right, he is so freakin' cute!