Monday, July 21, 2008

Will's Monkey

In September, we are taking Will to Disney World. I can't tell you how beyond excited I am to share Disney with him! I absolutely love the place and can't wait to see how Will will react to it. But, one thing I have been a little fearful of is how on earth we are going to keep up with the little guy. I don't want to strap him in a stroller the whole time, but don't want to be chasing after him every second either. The solution = the Monkey. Which we tested out at EdVenture Sunday --

I know there are plenty of critics and I'm sure multiple "how-to raise your child" books that have many negative things to say about this method of keeping up with your child. But, personally, I think this its the best thing ever if you have a very active child like Will. If I actually used it like a leash, tugging on Will to go where I want him to go, then that might be different story. Instead, when I wanted him to go another direction or stop moving, I would tell him just like I would if he didn't have the Monkey (except I wasn't running after him and could calmly tell him to stop, go this way, etc). I know Will really loved his "freedom" to go wherever he wanted. So, I am happy to say that the Monkey will be traveling to Disney with us (and probably other places to) and I will just be sticking my tongue out at any people saying tsk tsk tsk at me!

Will loved the grocery store this time, by the way. Last time I took him to EdVenture was months ago. And the difference was amazing. He really enjoyed playing in and with everything the place had to offer. He was astonished at Ed's big "shoes!" too.

(As you can see below, Will loves bread - lots of it. Loaded his cart with every loaf in the store.)

5 comments:

Julie said...

He is at such a great age for the grocery store.

And I think the monkey is a wonderful idea, much preferable to losing him in a crowd! Alex had one, but it wasn't as cute as the monkey. He hated it, but I was probably dragging him around like a dog :)

Jennifer said...

My parents used a dog harness on me one time at a crowded place. And, I was old enough to know it was dog harness. I'm still mad!

The monkey is adorable, though! I'll probably need one with Cate when we go to Disney next year. Alex is still content in the stroller! Isn't it funny how different kids are!

Ariail said...

I don't think you should feel bad at all about using the monkey. I might I have get one too.

Poists said...

Gwen sent me your link as I have just started using the Monkey on my son Wylie (12/6/06). We used it in an art museum and on the streets of San Francisco. He did really well.
As for Disney (we have Disneyland out here in LaLa Land)we haven't used it there but for the most part many parents do and it the kids don't seem the worse for it.

Anonymous said...

Did you buy all that bread? Other shoppers surely think your son is cute, but handling food in the grocery store is gross.