Sunday, June 28, 2009

Absolutely Fearless

When I take Will to the pool, I try to take his floaties off for a bit at the end just so that he can get used to the water and encourage him to learn to go underwater without swallowing water. Saturday afternoon, we were visiting his cousins who had a little pool deep enough for Will to go underwater - and he did - over and over and over. He loved it.

Well, Sunday, we went to the pool and my son was just crazy fearless about the water. He LOVED jumping in the kiddie pool to dunk underwater. I think we have a good future simmer on our hands!
See me calmly watching him going under in the next picture? Because he is about to bounce back up out of the water laughing, smiling and playing. Everyone around us was surprised at how much he loved going under (and he didn't swallow any water).
At the end, Will wanted to jump in the "big pool." I went up to him to catch him as he jumped and he shouted "no - no hands!" He wanted to do it all by himself. And ya'll - he did! - twice! He would jump in and I would reach under and pull him back up.


Now - I have GOT to get him swimming lessons because I suppose this fearlessness could work against us until he knows how to swim. If only I wasn't a working mommy, I could sign him up for 2 weeks of lessons 4 days a week. Sigh.

1 comment:

Julie said...

wow! Look at him!