Okay oh-ye-few followers of my blog. I need some advice, ideas - help!
So, Will has now been out of his crib for over a month. He takes his naps in his bed just fine - and the night time routine was not too bad for a while. He would sleep until at least 6:30, but usually 7 for quite a while.
And now, for some reason, its all gone to you-know-what. I can Not. Get. That. Boy. To. Stay. In. Bed. At. Night. I don't know what to do anymore. It drives me and Ellis absolutely nuts. Once Will finally falls asleep (9? 9:30? even 10pm?), he will usually stay in his bed ... but this morning he was crawling into our bed at 2:30am. Ellis graciously went back to his room and slept with him till this morning so I could get some sleep. Its not that I don't love cuddling up to Will but there are two things here: 1) he does not sleep peacefully most of the time - kicking and nudging is a large part of his sleep pattern - plus he usually is ready to be up if he is in bed with us and 2) (more importantly) I am a big proponent of Mommy and Daddy's bed STAYING our bed.
Anyway, its gotten to the point where, after storytime and lights out, Will will get out of his bed and room at least 10 times at night. For the past couple of nights, Ellis has been working late, so I have had to deal with it on my own. And it Drives. Me. Crazy! It doesn't matter what I tell him, how much I yell - nothing. And I'm starting to feel like a horrible mother because I get so mad at him and that is the last thing he has with Mommy before he finally goes to sleep.
So - if you have struggled through the same thing, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Or even a good book to turn to. (Most of y'all know I'm not big on what "those people" have to say on child rearing but I'm a bit desperate.)
Thursday, September 03, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We just let Durham roam around his room with a gate up at the door and the lights off. At fist he really took advantage of it and played lots, but the coolness of it wore off quickly. He still sits in bed for a good hour "reading" books or shooting dinosaurs before he falls asleep. I just decided that I don't care as long as he is getting up on time and seems to be well rested. I think this is worse when it is still ight outside at bedtime.
I feel your pain. We finally broke down and told Sydney that she could got to the potty by herself since she's in pullups at night now (and in theory would be able to do this without getting me up in the middle of the night). Before this she didn't realize she was capable of getting out of bed and would just scream at the top of her lungs from her bed until someone arrived. This new freedom has resulted in multiple potty trips after being put to bed and in the middle of the night (and she still wakes me up because she says she needs to poop but rarely actually does). I keep telling myself it is just a phase and the novelty will wear off. But I understand completely about losing your cool. I am not a nice mommy when this happens. I don't really have a reason to tell you all this except to say that you're not alone.
We also have a tot clock my sister found to help. You can set it for whatever time you want and it turns colors to let them know when it is bedtime, naptime, wake time, etc. It turns yellow when it is daytime and Sydney knows that she can't get out of bed until her clock turns yellow. It doesn't always work because she come in my room and ask me when it will turn yellow but usually she'll wait it out (6:15). She runs in our room saying "Mommy, my clock turned yellow! Can I get up now?" Let me know if you want the information on it and I'll give it to you. Sorry for the long comment!
Post a Comment