So, with advice from friends, I was giddy with excitement last night when I felt vindicated in my idea to lock Will in his room. Daddy wasn't keen on it when I suggested it before because he felt it was not safe or fair or something. I kept telling him I didn't see how it was different than when he was in his crib and couldn't get out of it without our help.
Last night, we locked Will's door. He cried for us - it broke my heart more than when he cried as a baby in his crib - and Daddy went back up to explain that Mommy and Daddy were here, we weren't going to leave him, but that it was time for his bedtime and he can't come out of his room until morning. And that was it!!! He played in his bed for a while but did not get out of it. One trip upstairs to talk to him - I can't believe it!
Daddy admitted he would have egg all over his face if this works again tonight. Cross your fingers for us - I think we are on to something here.
Thanks much to everyone. (And, Ashley, I love the idea of the tot clock. Please e-mail me about where to find that!)
Update: Daddy has egg all OVER his face, and I'm trying hard to resist rubbing it in that I was right all along. Will tried the door last night, realized it was locked, went to bed and right to sleep, and woke up at 7:30 this morning.
Friday, September 04, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
We are so doing that to Cate. :-) I know she will be up and out all the time. We'll just use your experience and start out with the door locked! :-)
Sorry, I am using Travis' computer and that's why it says "DAD" above. That's his username. Jennifer
Emily - I'm so glad to hear that this is working for you. I know it has to be a relief!
Emily our internet has been down at home, but if I had been able to read your post I would have told you the same thing - we had to lock James' door
(still do). We unlock it when we go to bed at night. I felt horrible when we first started to do it, but he was getting into all sorts of trouble when we didn't!
yay!!!
Post a Comment