Saturday, January 07, 2012

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve was a year of lots of new traditions.  We missed Nanny a lot, but made the most of Christmas Eve at home.  I will say that it was wonderful not to be traveling with 3 kids on Christmas Eve, and in the end, we had lots of fun. I cooked most of the day, making homemade apple cinnamon rolls for Christmas breakfast (Ellis's request).  They turned out fantastic and I think will likely turn up for Christmases to come!  We kept Christmas Eve dinner low key and kid friendly with a baked spagetti that I made, which I think turned out pretty yummy!  Will also helped me make a last batch of Christmas cookies for Santa and Christmas Day consumption.  These special, rolled sugar cookies have been a part of every Christmas that I can remember.  Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without them.

Bapa and Grandma joined us that evening to attend the Christmas Eve candlelight service at our church.  I forgot how much I missed candlelight services.  They remind you of the true reason for Christmas and really get you in the spirit for the Christmas festivities.

After dinner, Daddy read Twas the Night Before Christmas to the kids and then it was off to bed for everyone.  Will took until sometime after 10 to fall asleep, Mommy & Daddy ended up taking a nap because they were so tired, only to begin "helping Santa" after midnight.  It was a long night and let's just say -- thank goodness there is a 24-hour convenient store close by that sells AAA batteries at 2:30a.m. on Christmas Eve!
 





Catie in search of her favorite friend, "Markle" the Elf, who is up in the tree.  I think she enjoyed finding Markle every morning more than Will did.  She would look frantically for him, and then fiercely point at him with an exclamation of "MARKLE!"

After Daddy finished reading, Catie wanted to read Twas the Night Before Christmas herself.  She and Carter are such big book lovers!


No comments: