Thursday, August 17, 2006

ITS A BOY!








Yes! Maternal instincts were right - I've had this feeling that the baby was a little boy since he was around 8 weeks old. And that feeling was confirmed today. Ellis and I will have a son in about 5 months!

Today was such a wonderful day. I went to work this morning, but must admit I did not get too much done because I was very nervous for some reason. I think I was just so excited for the appointment that it made me nervous! Ellis and I went to lunch first and then off to the appointment at 1:00.

The ultrasound lasted about 30 minutes. We checked all the vital organs, bone structure, etc to confirm that he is a healthy, growing boy. (I had the basic genetic testing - for down syndrome, cystic fybrosis other disorders - done last time and the blood work came back negative!) Our son wanted to make sure we knew he was a boy right away. The first picture posted above is the first one we saw. The ultrasound technician said that she usually waits until the end to tell the parents what they are having, but said it was too obvious for her not to go ahead and tell us its a boy! He was basically in a position such that he was sitting on the ultrasound probe, so the picture is taken looking up as if he is sitting on the picture. I love the little foot picture too (yes, he has 2 legs and feet and 2 arms and hands!). I always find the pictures of babies at this stage kind of spooky because the fluid behind their eyes comes up black in the ultrasound. But he was just a-kicking and moving during the appointment. I had a coke at lunch to make sure he was active (and wow was he!). At one point, he started kicking me with his foot and I felt it while watching it on the ultrasound - which was wonderful!

Toward the end, I asked the ultrasound tech if she was sure it was a boy. She said, "oh yes, its definitely a boy. If you have a girl, I'll personally come to your house and repaint your nursery and I hate painting." Then she took the last picture I posted above! Needless to say, Ellis is a very proud father of his son already!! :)

We celebrated by going and buying our first little boy outfit. I have resisted buying anything for our baby yet - but wanted the first thing we bought to be after we found out if it was a boy or girl. Above is the picture of clothes we bought him. SO CUTE!!

We are both so thankful that he is healthy and everything looks good!! (I'll reveal the name when we come to a final decision, which should be soon!)

7 comments:

Ariail said...

That is wonderful- A health baby boy is such a blessing. You really did know all along.

Marie said...

I know you two are beside yourselves with excitement- and now that you know, it gets even better as you can call him by name and get his room ready. What fun!! I'm SO happy for you two!! Enjoy every minute and every little kick!

Ariail said...

And that hat is about the cutest thing I have ever seen.

Julie said...

I'm so excited for y'all! I love little boys!

Jennifer said...

Another BFF for Alex and Charlie! Our monthly get togethers are going to be more and more fun as the years go on! YAY!!!!

Oh and Travis said to tell you, "Boys Rule!" (He's a dork!) :-)

Anonymous said...

i am tickled blue for ya. ha,ha, i know he will have a wonderful life with u both because you both are wonderful.. i can't wait to see him... congratulations! love ya both. Doodle

Head Lima Bean said...

kudos to y'all and your surprise! (and i love the elephant outfit.)