Ellis and I are having the worst week -- I just keep thinking about the fact that we have a 3-day weekend coming up, and that seems to help. So, it all started with Ellis catching a cold this weekend. He NEVER gets sick (very much unlike me) so it is rare that he gets a bad cold. (Thankfully, I haven't caught it yet but that is just shy of a miracle and, given the week we've had, I'm still waiting to catch it.) He also mysteriously got bitten about 50 times (no, I'm not exaggerating) by mosquitos in our backyard this weekend. They've never been that bad.
So, anyway, Ellis had not been feeling up to par and I drag him all around town Saturday for DAY THREE of the crib shopping disaster. We can't seem to find one we like out there - if you don't want a convertible bed, your options are limited to about 3-4 cribs per store. Anyway, we're taking a break from that whole shopping mess.
So, Monday evening, I come home and my car just literally dies in the driveway. Needless to say, I am REALLY thankful it happened at home and not in the office parking lot or some random place. But the battery just went dead out of nowhere. This is/has been a very busy week at work for me, so it was the WRONG week for my car to die. And when we got in the house, we discovered that the air conditioning upstairs was not working - and it was about 90 degrees up there. The coil on the A/C unit had frozen over again, so we had to turn it off and wait like 4 hours to turn it back on. I couldn't go to bed until about 12:30 when it had cooled.
My parents were so very nice to give me a ride to and from work on Tuesday (Ellis had meetings and couldn't do it). And the A/C guy came out and fixed the A/C unit without our having to replace the units which was what we really feared. Then, Ellis and I took my car to be serviced yesterday - turns out the brake pads were completely worn to, so maybe it was a blessing in disguise that the car died.
So it seemed all was better when I was driving home in my newly serviced car to a cool house yesterday afternoon. I had to leave work early to get the car, so I brought a ton of work home that I needed to do. I go upstairs to the office to turn on the computer so I can start working. And the COMPUTER ... WON'T ... START. It would turn on but just the fan would run and the hard drive wouldn't kick in. We had a violent thunder/lightening storm Monday morning and I though - NOOOO, this is not happening. After spending over an hour on the phone with the Gateway tech support person (who was incredibly helpful and went outside what they normally will do when your warranty has expired ... which by the way - JUST expired 2 months ago. Sigh.), we concluded the thing has to be serviced. In that hour or so, I learned all kinds of things about mother boards and controllers and hard drives and crap. All I kept thinking is - WHEN am I going to have my computer back and CAN I PLEASE have all my info on the hard drive back?
We think there was a power surge that came through the phone line Monday morning during that storm and fried a controller or something like that. Luckily, the surge protector we had protected the computer from being completely fried. But I do ALL of our accounting in Quicken on the computer and kept thinking, "I have got to back this up. Got to back this up." But did I??? NOOOOOO! Thankfully, learning from Jennifer's episode (see link to Alex's blog to the right), I had just finished burning all of our pictures on CDs. But there really is a good bit of information on that computer that I WANT. The least being access to the friggin' internet. So we are off to find someone to service the thing and crossing our fingers the result is good.
So - there you are. Here I am at 7am in the morning, trying to get some work done (you can see from my writing this blog that I am already procrastinating - -but I needed to vent) before I have to travel to another county for court this morning - in what I can only suspect will be a downpour of nasty Ernesto weather - wishing that this week would just end!
On a good note - our son's kicks are getting harder. Sometimes he kicks hard enough that it catches me totally off guard and I can't help but laugh. Last night, I felt him actually push on my stomach - which was a very weird feeling. I'm hoping Ellis will be able to feel him soon. Every time he gets active, Ellis will put his hand on my belly - and then the little guy stops! I told Ellis I think his hand is so warm that it puts our son to sleep! :) (I love saying "our son".)
Anyway - the curse of the fried computers has passed on from Jennifer to me. If you have any precious computer info - back it up TODAY! :)
Thursday, August 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I love that feeling...of them kicking and moving and stretching. Can you see him moving yet?
Sorry you are having such a bad week, but at least it is almost over!
OH NO! I swear before it happened to me, I never heard of it happening...I just thought your computer could only die in theory... Well, better luck to you. We are going to have to ship off our hard drive and it is going to cost about 3 times as much as the computer.
OH NO! I swear before it happened to me, I never heard of it happening...I just thought your computer could only die in theory... Well, better luck to you. We are going to have to ship off our hard drive and it is going to cost about 3 times as much as the computer.
I don't know how I posted twice. Whatever. It is totally me and computers - we don't jive. :-)
Emily, I get chills when you say "my son". :) I can't wait for you to experience motherhood! It is an amazing feeling to create something so precious!! And I don't mean you're not a mom already, but you'll know what I mean when you get to hold that little guy in your arms. I'm getting teary just thinking about it!! I remember just wanting to hold my belly all day to feel her moving! And it gets even better when you can SEE him moving- that is just WILD! :) Enjoy it all!
Hey Emily! I'm finally getting a chance to read your blog instead of getting information 2nd hand! Ugh, sorry to hear that the week has been so crazy for you and Ellis, but am very happy that your car broke down instead of your brakes giving out! You look GREAT!!! I love seeing the picture of you, so glad you posted it! I will try to keep better updated now!
Post a Comment