Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Child Birth 101

Ellis and I took the all-day Saturday child birth class last weekend. He was such a good sport to do it on a college football day! :) I had heard absolutely nothing good about the child birth classes offered by the hospital and my OBGYN gave me some information on this private group called Just for You that offers all kinds of classes. The lady that runs the business and teaches the classes is a nurse and also a certified lactation consultant, among other great credentials. I got one glowing review about her breastfeeding class and decided to sign up. She offered the child birth class only once a month and we couldn't make it in November and December, so we went a little early. Got great material to bring him and "refresh" our memory when the due date approaches.

I really enjoyed the instructor. I appreciated her perspective on pain medications, c-sections, inductions, etc. Basically, her message was "Don't freak out or stress about all the 'what-ifs' about labor because, regardless of how you ultimately end up giving birth, it is a means to a wonderful end that is much more important and long lasting than the labor itself." I really liked that message.

Ellis endured the "birth video" quite well. I think he will be a WONDERFUL partner when it comes to time for the labor and delivery. He and I had a little trouble with practicing the relaxing and breating because we would get cracked up every once in a while. It was like being in church - once you found something funny, it was REALLY funny, and you couldn't stop laughing because you knew you weren't supposed to. :)

Our next prenatal appointment is Thursday when I will be 28 weeks!! Can't believe I am in my third trimester. Where on earth did time go? I remember when I was just barely showing, just beginning to understand and get used to everything. Now, I'm in my 7th month! And still feeling great. Little John William can really pack a punch when he wants to n0w, or he likes to make my belly look like there is some alien making waves in there (Ellis is not to fond of seeing that when it happens). He should weigh about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds now!

At the appointment on Thursday, we'll have another ultrasound. (Hopefully, Ellis will FINALLY order the darn part for our computer at home so I can FINALLY post some pictures on this blog....ahem, Ellis? Any day you want to order that mother board or whatever its called would be great.) Anyway, so I'll have new pictures to post.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Hey Emily! Glad to hear that the first parenting class went well. I'm sure that will help a lot once you are at the hospital, especially with being more relaxed! Love that you have the blog and I can keep up with it from here!

Jennifer said...

That is the same thing that happened to us! We laughed through all the breathing exercises!!! We still laugh about those times in our birth class!