Well, folks - all of your assurances that taking away Will's pacifier would not be nearly as traumatic as I thought were true! My entire elaborate plan was not needed. Will already napped yesterday and slept last night without his diddy. And I have gone through the house and thrown away each one I could find -- we are now diddy-free. :-)
Ellis had mentioned to Will's teachers at day care that if they wanted to try to work on getting rid of his pacifier at nap time, that would be fine because we were going to soon anyway. Coincidentaly, as I am hemming and hawing about how to make the process as easy as possible for Will, Will's teacher, Ms. Jenny, decided to tell Will before nap time yesterday that he was really too big for a pacifier. So, she took it and left the room to "give it to the babies in the baby room." Will cried for a short while, but he went to sleep just fine. I couldn't believe it when Ellis told me last night.
So, last night, on somewhat of a spur of moment decision as I got Will ready for bed, I decided to tell him they were already gone. I waited for him to ask for diddy, but he didn't until we were all done with reading books and were getting ready to turn out the light. Our conversation:
Will: Where's diddy?
Me: You don't need diddy. You are such a big boy now, and you know diddys are for babies. Mommy and Daddy gave all your diddys to Ms. Jenny who gave them to the babies already.
Will: (face crumples into something that did break my heart for a second as he realizes what that means)
But, he cried for less than a minute - and dropped it. Slept all night long without diddy. He did wake up at 6:30 this morning asking for it, and was upset for maybe 5 seconds when I went in his room and reminded him that we don't have any diddys anymore.
I am hopeful that tonight will be equally as easy. Cross your fingers ....
I keep reminding Will how very proud his Daddy and I are for him giving up his diddys and being a big boy! When I took him to school this morning, we told Ms. Jenny all about it. ;-)
Update: Will napped at school yesterday without asking for diddy, and last night, other than telling Ellis and me that there were no diddys because diddys were with babies, he didn't ask for it. Yay!
Friday, March 06, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yay! and just as i expected. they adapt SO quickly to change, don't they? congrats!
way to go Will!
Post a Comment