So, I'm thinking that this Friday is D-Day for us ... i.e. "Diddy Day". I believe the time has come for Will to give up his diddy cold turkey. I'm tired of thinking about when the right moment is ... because, frankly, I think his attachment to the thing is only going to get worse. And I'm tired of him using diddy as an excuse to delay bedtime or cry for one of us in the middle of the night - because he loses or purposely throws diddy out of the crib.
We've been talking with Will about how diddys are for babies, and he does understand that and says "diddys are for babies." I think he just doesn't quite get it (or believe it) when I say, "You're not a baby so you'll have to give diddy away soon."
My thoughts for going cold turkey? I'm thinking of getting Will some sort of comfort item - like a new stuffed animal - whose name is Diddy. Diddy for big boys like Will. Then, having Will help me decorate a box of some sorts - like a shoebox - to send off all his diddys. Have him help me gather all his diddys and put them in the box to send them off to babies who need them. We'll walk it to the mailbox and mail them off to other babies who need them.
Any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Needless to say, Ellis and I are super nervous about the possible onslaught of sleepless nights and naps this weekend....
Tuesday, March 03, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
We just threw them away in the kitchen trash can and told Durham they were for babies and he was a big boy... It wasn't near as traumatic as I thought it would be.
i have one friend who took all the binkies to Be Beep and let her daughter trade them in for a new toy. Apparently, she sucked each one (10 of them) before she handed them over, putting the 10th one in her little mouth a few times before she could finally let go of it. apparently, the salesclerk was actually weeping when she took the last one, it was so pitiful.
we had EG simply throw them in the trash with us. she only asked for it once and i reminder her that we threw them away. she was ok with it after that. i think the most impt thing is having Will be involved in the process, like having him trade them in or mail them off or throw them away. it will help him understand and will give you something to remind him of when he starts wailing for them.
i do think it will go more smoothly than you expect. good luck!
Alex and Cate never got attached to a pacifier so I don't know from personal experience, but your plan sounds really good to me. Alex and Cate are both attached to blankets, though. So, maybe replacing the pacifier with something else - a stuffed animal or whatever you had in mind - will help. Good luck! Every single thing I dreaded conquering with the kids has always ended up a lot less traumatic than I imagined. I am sure this will like that!
Our experience with James was not nearly as traumatic as I thought it was going to be either. He actually seemed okay with it and the one or two times he asked for them we reminded him he threw them away. My only regret was that we took them before we moved him to the big boy bed. Had he still had the paci when we moved him, I feel certain that our transistion would have been better to the big boy bed. Alas... hindsight is 20/20. Maddox still has his and we're taking one step at a time. Stuart just moved into his room, so we'll hold off for now - however I cannot wait until they're gone! Thankfully M only has his in the crib, but they quit making the brand he likes so we have two of them and there are no more. If only he understood that!!
Post a Comment