I soaked in some good girl time this weekend at Grown Up Girls Getaway at Camp Ton-A-Wandah, which is becoming a bit of an annual tradition. I'm sure
Gwen will post pictures - she was the only one of us to take pictures!
But enough about me - I decided it was more than high time for me to finally do a little update post on little William, Ellis's and my little buddy. The twos have just flown by - I can't believe he will be three in just a few months. Crazy!! I have really loved watching him grow into a toddler. You hear a lot about the terrible twos before you become a parent (and there is a LOT of truth to those stories) but you don't hear a lot about how much FUN a two-year old can be. Will has gone from a young toddler with fairly good coordination, a pretty good vocabulary of words and phrases, and comprehending most of what you say to now being a full-blown little boy who can get around like a big boy just fine (or at least thinks he can), talk like a little boy - with plenty of jokes and stories and songs, and completely understand what you say to him. And I have really loved every minute of these changes.

Will has a the sweetest little voice. I wish I could bottle it up forever. (Well, I guess I have with my video camera on the few occasions we bring it out.) I love to hear him say ". . . wiss me" instead of "with me" as in - "you play wiss me" or "you lay wiss me (in his bed at night)". My other favorite saying is "I wanna hold you!" that he says when he wants you to pick him up. He will also adamantly tell you that he is "Will Farr" - so if you say something like "You are such a little monkey"; he will respond with "No I'm not, I'm Will Farr!" He can talk up quite a storm - sometimes he tells a story that makes sense and other times he just talks on and on about nothing much. He especially does this at dinner time if Ellis and I start talking to each other for too long. He'll pipe in "Hey guys! Guys!" And when we ask him what he wants, he will launch into this long story of jibber jabber. Its hilarious though because he acts and makes facial expressions and speaks just as if he was telling a very real story to you.
The BEST is when Will uses his cute little voice to sing, which is by far my favorite thing lately. He sings so much! Every day it seems like he comes home singing some new song he learned at day care, often reminding me of silly songs of when I was a little girl that I had long forgotten. Some of his favorites (and mine): Kiss the Girl from The Little Mermaid (y'all, he can sing the whole thing and it CRACKS me up every time); Deep and Wide (with hand motions); Barney's I Love You (I despise Barney but Will singing this is adorable, especially because he'll want to give you a "great big hug and a kiss from me to you" when he sings that part); Hey Diddle Diddle the Cat and the Fiddle (a tune put with the nursery rhyme from one of Will's toys); Jesus Loves Me. And that really is just naming a few. He knows so many!


The other big development change has been watching Will use his imagination in playing more and more. I love watching him "pretend" and its often really funny. For example, yesterday, Ellis was playing with him on his playset in the backyard and Will got up in the playhouse and told Ellis to come in his "office" because he was "working." Or tonight when he pretended to be a doctor and used some toy to give Ellis "medicine" on the couch.

Nemo is no longer his favorite toy or character - he has a complete infatuation with Buzz Lightyear. He often is running around with his arms out like he is flying and yelling "To Infinity and Beyond!" He proclaimed to the kids on the playground we went to today that he was Buzz Lightyear. And at the last FOL get together, Will found Alex's Buzz Lightyear and NEVER let him go the entire weekend except for bedtime. There is no doubt that he will be asking Santa to bring him Buzz this year for Christmas (or maybe mom and dad will just have to get this one for him). I am already excited to see his expression when he gets Buzz Christmas morning. He also loves Batman.

I think his favorite TV show right now is The Backyardigans (they are my favorite too), although he always loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. His favorite movie, hands down, is The Little Mermaid, which he got hooked on at the beach this past summer.
Will can count very well and knows all his colors. He can recognize a "W" (learned that from day care), and can recognize letters in general that he refers to as "ABCs" but does not know them individually yet.
His favorite breakfast food is still cereal bars (we call them "breakfast bars"). He eats 1-2 of those every morning with milk. He also loves grits, couscous, chicken and rice (mixed together), green sticks (green beans), fruit (especially mandarin oranges) and pizza. There are not too many things that Will absolutely hates - he just is not a very picky eater (thank goodness!). His favorite food/snack is "fruit snacks!" This has become a source of problems and tantrums in our house because he thinks he should be able to eat fruit snacks all the time. The boxes of fruit snacks have been moved to higher shelves in the kitchen.

Will isn't close to being potty trained, but he is making good steps in that direction. He goes potty at school every once in a while, and he always pee pees in the potty after bath time before he goes to bed. But he will totally wander around with poop in his pants for as long as you will let him, so he is definitely not ready to be free of pull-ups. A few weeks back, we tried just putting him in underwear. He loved them, we made a big deal of him in his underwear, and he commenced to pee all over himself 2 or 3 times and not care at all that he was wet - got mad when we had to change him. So we're just letting him take his time because there really is no hurry right now.

Now, don't get me wrong, the twos have been filled with quite a many tantrums. Whew! I've heard many friends say the 3s are worse - I sure as heck hope not! Will has definitely thrown some drag out, non-stop screaming, I-swear-he-is-going-to-hyperventilate-and-THEN-what-do-I-do tantrums. But, bit by bit, we try to learn how to watch when he is about to throw one, what the triggers are and, bit by bit, he is learning that it does not matter how much he screams - if we said no we mean no! :-)
Will is growing into a vivacious, energetic, hilarious, sweet little boy - and we love him to pieces!

No comments:
Post a Comment