That is how I felt at church today. Extremely embarrassed to the point of being completely mortified.
We have slowly been trying to get Will used to being in church with us rather than going to the nursery because he will be 3 soon when he will be heading to children's church anyway. Well, this morning he was a bit out of sorts - not listening to anything we said. Then, the service was particularly long today so, instead of children's moments being at 11:15 or so, it was at 11:30. I should have read the signs that Will was not going to listen and be quiet, but he made it until children's moments, so I was determined to have him go up there before I took him to the nursery.
He gathers around the children's moments volunteer at the head of the church like all the other kids. And then starts quietly sneaking toward the altar area. I give him a good "you better not!" mommy stare, then I try ignoring it to see if he will stop. And then I watch him leap through the gate area just as I made a dash off the pew to grab him - and missed him. My son starts tearing around the altar with all kinds of glee and hysteria that this must be the best game ever. And there I am, standing in front of the entire congregation turning what must have been the reddest of reds my face could possibly turn. It took both preachers and me to corral Will and then Reverend Cathy handed him to me, as she tells the congregation that we are expecting twins soon too.
As I'm quickly heading up the aisle with my child in toe, face looking like a tomato, I hear the children's moment's volunteer saying that the kids should add our family to the prayer list. I turned back and said "Thank you!" But I probably should have said "AMEN!"
(Everyone thought it was hilarious and half the church came and spoke to me afterwards. My face continued to turn crimson every time I talked about it. Ah! This is one to remember for a long long time.)
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Poor thing! But, don't worry. You'll start to care less (not be so mortified) about things like this---at least I did once Cate was born. Recently, Cate had a full blown tantrum (under the table---so I had to drag her up from under people's feet) in the middle of our Wonderful Wed. supper at church bc I wouldn't give her a cookie before she ate her dinner.
And, my church still remembers when Travis as a 3 year old did exactly what Will did ---except Travis actually got on top the Communion table and started dancing. His mom was NOT happy. :-)
I laughed out loud at this!
Post a Comment