What a difference a week makes - and what a difference a different doctor makes!
After reflecting back on my doctor's appointment last week, I think the reason Ellis and I (well, particularly I) took the news so hard was the way in which it was told to us. The doctor I saw (who shall remain un-named) made it seem like we had to hurry up and make a decision right away, needed to have the version procedure by the end of this week if we were going to do it, and we better get ready to have the c-section early next week. So we left there thinking we had to make some tough decisions in the next couple of days and, what freaked me out the most, thinking that we were going to have this baby in the next week or two - and not because he was ready but because we would undergo a medical procedure or surgery that would take him out.
Well - today I saw my favorite OB and Ellis and I feel a zillion, billion times better. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Dr. Risinger is AWESOME! Anyway, Will is still clearly breeched - but I'm also nowhere near ready to have him so that Dr. Risinger didn't even bother checking my cervix (famous last words, right?). She was wonderful to talk to, explained things much more clearly to us and, most importantly, told us we should not feel pressure that decisions and procedures had to happen in the next day or two.
I emphasized to Dr. Risinger that I did not want to do a procedure or have a c-section that would take Will out earlier than he was ready to. She agreed that right now is a bit early - we don't need to worry about rushing things when I am only 37 weeks. In fact, she said we could wait until about January 3rd if we wanted. I really want her to do the procedure, and she is on call only December 27th or January 5th so....
After talking it through with her the "Plan" as of today is that we are looking to December 27th to be Will's birthday. If we decide to do the version procedure after talking to the high risk OB (nope, still haven't heard from his office but Risinger is following-up on that for us), then we are going to do it that day. If it works, which admittedly has a low probability since I will be 38 weeks and 6 days pregnant, then I may be induced or, if everything goes really really well, then I can just go home and wait to go into labor. If the version doesn't work, then we'll go right in for the c-section.
So ... unless Will decides he is ready to come out on his own (or the version goes really well or the little guy flips), we'll be singing happy birthday on the 27th!
Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts and concerns. I now know this isn't something to be as freaked out about, and I'm sure if I'd seen Dr. Risinger last week, my experience that day and the days the followed would have been much different. (Like I'm sure I would not have taken the news so hard.)
Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am glad you are feeling better...and it sounds like the doctor you saw today is much mroe reasonable and in line with what you want to happen.
Post a Comment