Saturday, December 06, 2008

Christmas with a 2-year old: The Rest of the Story

Being able to share Christmas with my son is a blessing that I am thankful for every day ... but that should go without saying. All of us bloggers tend to blog all the "perfect" moments - as it should be - but, in light of the second Christmas escapade this morning, I realized that it was time to share all the stories - the bad and the good. Because, frankly, although in the moment I want to tear my hair out and scream, looking back on it - its pretty darn funny! So, without further ado .... Christmas with a 2-year old: The Rest of the Story ...

Chapter 1: Christmas pictures

Ah - Christmas pictures - getting Will all dressed up in a cute little Christmas outfit and getting some adorable smiley shots of him for Christmas cards. Right? Ha! So, ummm...we arrive at 8:50am for our portrait time, but for some reason, the only employee with a key fails to show up until 9:30. That's right, me and a few other families are standing out in the cold, chasing our kids at Sandhills. By the time the doors open, Will is worn out and I'm tired of saying "Will - no! don't touch that! Will - come here!" (Got a $30 discount...but still not sure that was worth it.) Sitting still for a picture is the furthest thing from his mind by the time we get in the studio. Ellis is picking up the Christmas cards now and I am a bit leery of what picture I ultimately picked and what the card says. I wouldn't be surprised if I had them spell one of our names wrong. Its a whole different kind of tired when you've been chasing a toddler around for an hour and a half. Whew!

Chapter 2: Getting a Christmas tree

What could be more fun than getting a Christmas tree?! Feeling to full Christmas spirit this morning, I put Will in his little reindeer sweatshirt and bring along the camera intending to capture many moments ... and get this one --
before the tantrum set in. Not so sure what exactly set him off. Maybe he was just hungry, or maybe I was too mean to not let him play with the electric cord to the chain saw, or the big gigantic clippers, or maybe it was because I was a mean mommy and wouldn't let him run wild in the parking lot or splash in the freezing cold water?? Needless to say - tantrum consumed him. I carried screaming child to the car, Ellis got them to put the tree on the car (is it even the "perfect, right" tree? I don't know!), and we drove off - exhausted. And then, when we're almost home, Ellis says "umm...did you pay for the tree???" That's right folks! We stole a Christmas tree!! Nice. Real nice. (Ellis is back there now, paying for it. And Will is off in slumber land, and all is peaceful again at our house. Aaah.)

I am now very much looking forward to driving to S-burg tonight to see Jennifer and Julie for a ladies-only dinner and then off to see Twlight with them! Can't wait!


Update: Y'all! Will's Christmas pictures came out pretty darn good! I can't believe it. You'd never guess that he was about to catapult from the chair on the Christmas card. :-)

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I can't wait to see the card!

Ariail said...

I really think trying to get the perfect Christmas Card pic. is just too much trouble. Glad yours turned out well.

Julie said...

Thanks for keeping it real :)

Ashley said...

Thanks for posting some of the reality moments that I have so many of. I read every one's blogs and often feel like the worst mother in the world. In all honesty Christmas last year with an almost 2 year old was not so "perfet" as I hoped and I was sad. So far...this Christmas with an almost 3 year old has been FANTASTIC. I hope that brings you some relief:)

The Comers said...

i love that you stole a tree. i'm sure i've inadvertently stolen something while trying to drag them from a store in the middle of a tantrum. we had our first trip to toys r' us with the girls this weekend to try to figure out what they'd go for. that's a story, too.