Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Not a moment too soon - March birthday for the Girls!

Yep - you read the title of this post right. Apparently, my mind and body subconsciously knew that the girls were coming soon when I "nested" like a crazy person this past weekend, ran around like crazy to get Easter basket material, big brother presents, and the nursery ready. I knew a delivery before April 15th (before 37 weeks) was very likely, but it is still a shocker when you get the news!

I had my 34 week appointment today, which included an ultrasound. I invited my mom to come, especially since she had not seen one before. (I wish I had invited her and my dad sooner, but I just didn't think about it.) Anyway, the girls looked very good and put on a great show. We got an adorable shot of Catie and she even stuck her tongue out of us. Carter was smashed up in there again, so we did not get a good shot of her.

The ultrasound tech explained that they were looking for several signs to insure the girls were not in trouble: making sure they were practicing breathing (sucking in fluid in their tummies); checking heart rates; looking for muscle tone (flexing of legs or arms); looking for movement; and checking the amount of fluid around each baby. They passed with flying colors. They score it on a 8 point scale and both girls scored an 8. Blood flow in their heads and from the cords looked good too.

BUT Catie was measuring about 3 lb 11 oz and Carter was about 4 lb 6 oz. It seems like Catie lost a pound from the last ultrasound but it was a different tech that time. The ultrasound tech this time explained that, with how little room there is now, it is difficult to get accurate measurements and different techs can measure differently. (Also, these measurements are far from accurate in that they can be + or - 10 ounces.) But what was obvious to me is that there was about a pound difference between them. I verified with the tech that that comparison number was accurate even if their actual weights were and knew that was going to be an issue to talk about with the doctor. (Do you see what's coming??)

Mom left and I waited for my OB (thankfully, I did get to see my preferred doctor today). She came in and began by showing me their statistics. They only have singleton weights to compare them to and Carter is in the 12th percentile and Catie is in the 4th. She told me that was nothing to worry about because twins start to weigh less and less at this stage of the pregnancy. There just is not any more room to grow.

But, the rest of the appointment is a bit of a blur. She began slowly reeling me in - first explaining that there was no way I would reach 37 weeks. Catie was small and that was cause for concern. They are looking great today, but the size comparison indicates that Catie will likely go into stress in the future and the doctor wants to deliver them before that happens. She asked me to come in Friday for another ultrasound. And then, somehow, broke the news that I needed to definitely pack a bag and have it with me Friday. If there are any signs of stress, she will admit me and they will be delivered FRIDAY. (Yes -- FRIDAY!) If they look as good as they did today, then we will meet with her after the ultrasound and let her know if we want to deliver next Tuesday or Wednesday. Yep - they will be born by March 31st.

I'm okay ... a little freaked out ... trying very hard not to panic. But the doctor kept assuring me that I had done great, its rare that her patients with twins make it to 34 weeks without bed rest or at least stopping to work, etc. Good news too is that she will definitely be there for the delivery now. I am nervous about getting things together for Will, making sure he is okay (he has been acting up a LOT these last couple of days and must sense the tension already), and, of course, whether or not these little girls are going to be in the NICU and, if so, how long.

Ellis was not there with me, but I texted him while I was checking out. Something like "This is not a joke but the girls will be here maybe Friday, definitely Tuesday or Wednesday. Call you in a minute." Within 5 minutes he had texted me back "Call me now!!!". :-)

I went back to work and announced to everyone that tomorrow will be my last day at work. I'm a little stressed about that - tomorrow is going to be a busy day - but I know, and the doctor has ordered, that I slow down and take it easy. If putting myself on bed rest Thursday prevents them from having to be delivered Friday, then that is more than worth the stress of tomorrow. I really would love to have the weekend both for this family's sanity and, most importantly, for the girls' health. I want them to stay until I am 35 weeks if at all possible!

So, please say a little prayer for the girls for us that they are born healthy! (And maybe say a little prayer for me, Ellis and Will as we adjust to the news.)

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

We love you all so much and are praying for you all. I know just how shocking this kind of news is. Try to get some rest! You really are a SuperMama! Will, Catie, and Carter are so lucky!!!

Holly @ Life as a Thrifter said...

It will workout exactly how it's supposed to! You are going to do great!!

. . . and the nursery looks beautiful!!

Elizabeth said...

Oh my goodness! That is exciting news! You will do wonderfully and are as prepared as you are going to get. Will will adjust fine too! We'll be thinking about you and I cannot wait to meet C and C!!

Amber said...

We will be praying for you and your girls! Don't work too hard!