Sunday, March 07, 2010

Its Potty Time!!!

Its a miracle!! Its amazing! I can't believe it!

Some of you might find the picture here a little "inappropriate" and Will may hate me for it one day - but you have NO idea how significantly life has changed around here. Its been a house where the topic is constantly about the potty, how important the potty is, why we use the potty, how to pee pee in it, how to wait to poop in it ... heck, I checked out every potty book the library had, including a hilarious one that has you sing all kinds of silly potty songs popular songs. (Think: "On top of the potty! It really is neat. To go pee pee and poopey on a comfortable seat." Instead of "On Top of Old Smokey.") I have found myself singing these silly songs to my son, while he waits to pee or poop, at like 7 in the morning. Seriously.
There is never a dull moment when you the parent of a toddler. And as previous posts hint at, I was totally totally perplexed by the whole potty thing. I didn't have the first clue in figuring out how to get Will to do it and, at 3 1/4, I thought it was high time he did. But many friends and family said to just wait - one day it would just click ... and one day it just did!
A week and a half ago, he was willingly peeing in the potty most times we asked. So, on a Thursday a week and a half ago, I sent him to school in underwear. He did amazingly well both days, having only 2 accidents. But then, that weekend, he had 50 billion accidents (it seemed like anyway). He would use the potty but would not finish, so he'd immediately have an accident.
I was ready to throw in the towel again, but then, last week at school, he had maybe one accident a day and at least 2 days of NO accidents. I couldn't believe it! Several times, Will would promptly go in the bathroom without telling us and pee on his own. Yesterday, little man went poop in the potty All. By. Himself. And unless you are or have been a parent to a toddler, you really have NO idea how incredibly amazing that feat is. Yesterday, Will had about 3 accidents - but today he had zip. zero. nada! And that included one poop.
This is not to say we are out of the woods. He has accidents often, and sometimes it is a battle to get him to use the potty. But he has made enormous strides in potty training in the last week and I am so freakin' proud of him! He finally FINALLY prefers underwear to pull-ups and doesn't like when we put him in the pull-ups at nap time and bedtime. (But we likely will have to for some time yet.)
So GO WILL!!! YAY!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

YAY Will!!!! Aunt Kathy is so proud of him...now maybe he can talk his cousin Anna into using the potty!!! :-)