Will turned three weeks old yesterday. He has changed so much. He does more than just eat, poop, and sleep. Ellis and I have had lots of fun interacting with him when he is alert. I read that some babies this age can mimic facial expressions once they can focus on your face - and Ellis taught Will to stick out his tongue. Its a hilarious little face that I wish I could capture on film. I'm now trying to see if I can get him to imitate a smile.
The past four diaper changes have happened with no crying from Will, and one included a change into his PJs. He usually wails as soon as we put him on the changing table, but I've been trying to make diaper changes fun - laughing, singing and talking to him. And I think he likes it!
He had his first "real" bath a couple of days ago. He did NOT like it at all. Plus, Ellis and I both were so nervous about how to do it without hurting him or having him slide into the tub. Anyway, we're working on that one. I also learned my lesson because I rinsed his hair with the tub water only to learn, once we pulled him out of the tub, that he had pooed in the water. Yep - I washed my son's hair with poo water!!!
One thing about Will is that he LOVES to be held. He is not a happy camper if you try to put him down in a pack n play, swing, bouncy seat, etc. I will say that the best item we have for him is his car seat and the kiddopotamus liner for the car seat (see the white cushion in the pictures above) that my friend, Marie, recommended I buy. The liner makes the car seat so warm and cushiony - it is the ONLY thing we can get him to sleep in. (He is sleeping in it right now, actually.)
Night times continue to be a bit trying for Ellis and me. Will typically is most alert at night and, since he won't let us put him down, one of us can't sleep very well. Last night, I nursed him in the side lying position in bed for the first time. It went wonderfully, he latched on the best in that position. And, when he was done eating, he just nestled up to me and went to sleep. I really wish I was comfortable with co-sleeping - or at least that it wasn't as dangerous as they say- because I am about 99% sure Will would comfortably sleep in the crook of my arm for 5 hours or more if he could. And I sure would sleep well too. I could just pull him to me when he was hungry. If any of you have suggestions on what we can do to imitate holding him or being able to sleep with him as close as possible, please let me know!
The past two nights we have discovered the best way to get Will to sleep somewhere other than in our arms. At 1am Tuesday night and 2am last night, we put him in his car seat and went for a drive. I climb in the backseat with him in my PJs and bathrobe, holding his pacifier in place and watching for when he falls asleep. Then, we come home, carry his car seat up to our room and get some much needed sleep. Will sleeps wonderfully tucked in the car seat - buckled and all! Last night, he slept from 2:15 until 6:45!!! You can imagine my shock when I woke up to his noises and whimpers at 6:45. I just wish there was something else he would let us do other than driving him around and making him sleep in a car seat!
9 comments:
I co-slept for a couple of months with both of mine...I just needed sleep so badly! And, I actually slept in the guest bed for a while because I felt like it was safer with just me in the bed with him. I say, do whatever you have to to get some sleep!
I remember once with Alex on a Friday night, about 11:30, riding through 5 points listening to lullaby music. I almost cried at the thought of all those young people out having a good time, while I was wrestling with trying to get a baby to sleep.
He is precious...I love the hat!
I co-slept with Alex for the first 8 weeks and then off and on until he was about 14 weeks. I never felt afraid of doing it - I really believe that mothers have a sense about where the baby is even when they are asleep. You just have to be smart about it. We didn't use any pillows and I took all the pillow top stuff off my mattress. I held him the entire time, so I felt where he was. It worked great. But, if you are still worried about it, you can try a co-sleeper or try putting the packnplay as close as possible to the bed and keeping your arm on Will.
Also, I know a lot of people have had great success with that little sleeper thing that goes in the bed with you - I think it was on your registery at one point? I am going to buy one of those for the next baby we have.
You just have to do what feels right, though. And whatever it takes to get some sleep!!!
Alex also slept in his car seat lots of times in the first 2 months. I think he really felt secure and it helped with digestion.
He is such a cuttie!!! I can't wait to see him again! It will not be long and he will have a new little cousin to play with!!! :)
He is precious and the apple hat is beyond adorable!
Emily, I'm so glad you like the snuzzler!! I don't see anything wrong with letting him sleep in the car seat for now. I've even heard of parents putting the baby in the car seat inside the crib so that the baby then adapts to sleeping in their own bed. Right now you have to do whatever works for you and your baby!! I've heard the little box like thing that goes in your bed is nice, too!
He is so cute. We did the whole pull the cradle up beside the bed thing so I could put my hand on him. What worked best though was the swing beside the bed where I could reach him. Also, Durham never dropped feedings, he just ate more often during the day once he slept through the night.
Thanks for all the comments - unfortunately, Will does not like the co-sleeper thing, won't sleep in a pack n play by the bed even with my arm on him, and won't sleep in the swing either. Its the car seat or arms! Swaddling used to work but he hates it now. Just grunts and turns red in frustration that he can't get his arms out.
And I meant that he doesn't like the co-sleeper bed that you can buy (not that he doesn't like sleeping with us)....
Em,
He's just adorable. Ella Grace slept in her bouncie seat for months, so don't trouble yourself about that. Many times, we put her in the crib in the bouncie seat. While both EG and AM were tiny, i put them in a moses basket and put the basket in the middle of the bed and slept beside it (b was relegated to another room). i kept my hand on them all night for the first few weeks. he'll eventually learn to sleep in his crib so don't worry about it.
in terms of schedules, the best thing we did is kept our girls on a feeding schedule. they ate every 2.5 to 3 hours and if there were asleep, we woke them up, much to the grandmothers' dismay and concern. try to play a little after eating and before napping (remember: EASY, Eat, Activity, Sleep, You time). It's hand to get one so little on a schedule, but it doesn't hurt to start trying. And he's too little to cry it out, so don't listen when people tell you to do that. Hold him. that's what he really wants! Some of my most precious memories of Ella Grace were at 4AM, rocking her for what seemed like hours and her grinning and laughing and cuddling. It was worth the exhaustion. Addie Mac has always been a great sleeper so we never had to worry about that.
I can't wait to meet the little man. He's just a yummy little bundle of baby love! :)
Post a Comment