We went to the pediatrician yesterday. Dr. Castles found a little bit of blood in his stool, so we think he may be intolerant of milk protein. (I mistakenly thought yesterday afternoon that he was lactose intolerant but have since learned that very few babies are actually lactose intolerant. That would mean that he couldn't digest even my breastmilk. Being intolerant of the milk protein is something most babies get over and are able to digest as it is slowly reintroduced to their diet.)
In order to figure this out for sure, I have been ordered to cut out all dairy from my diet. Y'all - that is HARD. My favorite foods are pizza and cheese!!! It may sound silly but, wow - what a sacrifice for me. I don't know if I will have to cut it all out completely for as long as I am breastfeeding yet ... oh I hope not. Of course, I also hated to hear that is because of me that he has been so uncomfortable. At least, Will's fussy, painful issues may be curable. We have a few other options if he isn't better by Thursday. In the meantime - got any non-dairy recipes out there? Please pass them on!! I never really realized how many things had dairy in them until I was ordered to cut them out - no cheese, sour cream, milk, butter, cream cheese !!!! Ah!!!! Umm...I could seriously eat a whole pizza by myself - I love it that much. And I put cheese on everything!
It also hurt bad to throw out all the milk supply I was building so I could safely leave the house without Will. (I was really looking forward to getting a haircut and facial soon!) I had 3 and 1/2 feedings built up and now have to start over. :( Ugh!
But - Will is worth the sacrifice. And I do plan on reminding him of this when he is a teenager and fighting with me! :)
When Ellis told his mom about this last night, she remembered that he couldn't take regular formula and had to be put on soy milk formula. So looks like its Dad's fault that I can't eat dairy! :)
On a good note -- Will is slowly letting me put him down in his car seat during the day again. We're working on it. I love holding and snuggling with him, but Mom needs a break!
Oh! And Will weighed 8 pounds and 9 ounces yesterday! Getting to be a big boy!!
4 comments:
Soups and stews are great, I have a recipe for easy homemade bread without dairy, and a recipe for pork and sauerkraut that has no dairy. Also check out Asian dishes and look for tofu.
There is always soy cheese!
I was going to recommend soy milk and cheese, too. Right now I'm drinking a Vitasoy Peppermint Chocolate milk- YUM. I'm glad that you figured out what was bothering him. You're such a good mom already noticing his behavior and figuring out his allergy!
That is EXACTLY what happened to me with Sydney. We eventually had to put her on soy formula. I tried going without dairy too but I was already about 7-8 weeks into breastfeeding and had already realized that I was not going to continue to breastfeed once I started back to work. I cut out the dairy as best I could and started the formula and weaning (more for me than her). The soy formula really did help, although we continued to use the gas drops for a LONG time. BUT, then she had major constipation problems. If Will gets that, let me know. I think you are a real trooper for giving up dairy. Once you cut out all the "gas foods" first and then dairy there really is nothing left to eat.
Post a Comment