I know its been a long time since I've updated the blog! (The convenience of having a laptop downstairs at the kitchen table went away when Ellis went back to work.) We're still here and all is going well. (well - sort of - see below). Will turned one month old last Wednesday, which is so hard to believe sometimes. He is still as cute as a button and continues to challenge us each day. He does all kinds of things now that make him more and more of a "baby" and less of a "blob." :) He notices his reflection in the mirror and loves to stare at it - particularly at bath time. I sponge him off or give him a full bath each night around 8pm to signal "nighttime"(both of which have gotten easier and easier - no poo water!). He also loves to watch facial expressions more and more. He makes all kinds of new little noises and looks interested when we copy his noise. He definitely notices if Ellis or me talk to him from some distance away - looking in our direction. And he stretches SO hard when he first wakes up, which is terribly adorable.
The last two days have had blissful sleep at night! We seem to have figured something out (hope I'm not jinxing us by saying this). I'm sleeping propped up in bed against a big pillow off of the sofa and Will sleeps on my chest between me and a boppy pillow. I sleep much better than "real co-sleeping" because I'm not worried about crushing him. And he likes it much better because he isn't lying alone on a mattress. Last night we slept almost 7 hours - with 3 feedings and a diaper change dispersed in between. But WOW!! Between 12am and 9:30am we got almost 7 hours? What heaven!!
Last Monday was Ellis's first day back at work and my first day all alone with Will. Monday through Wednesday went really well though. We had a great routine - he would nurse, have some fun, alert time with me, then drift off to sleep. I would put him in his car seat to nap and have some "me" time before he would wake up again. Things were going great ... until ...
THURSDAY all hell broke loose around here. Will would cry uncontrollably. He would not (and still will not) let us put him down anywhere, including his beloved car seat. I was thinking it was gas, so we got gas relief drops -- but those just are not working. My sweet, "easy" boy has turned into a fussy baby! Last night, around 10pm, he just would not stop screaming - nor would he even nurse to quiet him down - so I ran the vacuum cleaner, desperate for something to console him. And it did work. Whew! Its very taxing on parents when the baby just cries and cries and cries.
Anyway, we are pretty certain that Will's problem is a really bad digestive issue with constipation. You can really tell he is straining and is in pain when he cries. Its so sad to see him that way. I'm calling his pediatrician tomorrow to see if there isn't something else we can give him to relieve the gas. I've heard and read that it can be food I am eating that is upsetting him - but I haven't eaten anything this past week unusual from the food I ate from the day he was born. Keep your fingers crossed for us that we will be able to "fix" the problem.
P.S. I've gotten all my medical bills for Will's birth. Between him and me - we racked up close to $18,000.00 in medical bills!!! Who knew having a baby was so freakin' expensive! Its really ridiculous. Thank God for insurance...
2 comments:
What a cutie pie! I am so excited you found a way to get sleep! YAY! What a difference that makes, right?
Just wanted to comment that Alex did the same thing right at 4 weeks - remember when we came over to your house for dinner??? Eesh. Anyway, in our case, it did turn out to be acid reflux. But, the good news is that by 3-4 months, he didn't cry for what I felt like was no reason any more. (Alex was probably colicy, though.) When he would have these crying fits (at night from like 8/9-10) the only thing that worked for us was to put him in his baby bjorn and sway from side to side. Whatever works, right? :-)
Yay! New pictures of Will! I love the bath time picture where the pacifier looks so big in comparison to his sweet little face!
Hang in there- I hope the pediatrician can give you some helpful tips to fix your little man!!
Post a Comment