Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos
Will loves to just kick and kick and swat at that purple toy in his crib. Hopefully, he'll be sleeping in it soon. (Yes, that's Michael Jackson in the background. Will and I play to all kinds of different music. :) )
Will is now 9 weeks and one day old, and I find myself noticing all kinds of changes in him. He really is growing up and changing from a newborn to an infant. Here are some of the things I have noticed and "where we are":
1) He hasn't found his hands yet, but he now swats at toys like he is doing in the video above. During "tummy time" he often shoves his whole fist in his mouth.
2) I noticed about 5 days ago that, when his pacifier fell out of his mouth, Will searched for it with his mouth, trying to get it back in again. Seems small - but its the first time he really recognized that he can get something he wants without waiting for one of us to do it.
3) He loves to play like he is doing in the video - either in his crib or on his activity gym. He just kicks and kicks, cooing and smiling. Just in the last few days, he has become fascinated by the lights that light-up to music above him in the activity gym. He will just stare at it. Playtime has slowly become more independent time for him, which gives me about 10 minutes or so to do something without him in my arms. :) He is awake a lot more during the day than when he was a little newborn.
4) Will really likes to "see the world." He rarely likes to be carried or held with his body toward you. He likes to be held facing away and looking at everyone. Probably why he doesn't like the sling I have. :( He didn't like the Bjorn baby carrier either, until last Sunday I put him in it facing out. He has a little difficulty because the head control isn't there, but he loved it. Watched me do all kind of chores and eventually fell dead asleep in it while I did laundry and other things. It was so funny! (And such a work-out for Mom.)
5) He is not a "schedule" baby. Every day is a new adventure as to what he wants or when/how long he will want to sleep. Generally, he takes a big nap in the morning and a big nap in the afternoon after lunch - but the evening is pretty much up for grabs.
6) He still has his nights and days RIGHT. :) Big relief to Mom and Dad. He sleeps more and more in his infant seat (not needing to be held). But he can take a long time to go back to sleep once he wakes up to be fed. He usually eats between 10-11 and then again between 3 and 4. Right now, he sleep in the carrier at night on the ottoman that goes with the glider rocker in his nursery. I can lay in bed and stick out my leg, rest it on the ottoman, and rock it back and forth until he goes to sleep. Ellis and I both tend to get a bit more sleep that way. Sometimes it works, and sometimes he just does not want to sleep on his own. But last night, Will slept on his own all night until we all woke up around 7 this morning. I was so proud of him. (Of course, who knows what tonight will bring.) ... Oh - and he loves this "nature noise" that Graco products have. Ellis and I know it by heart because that's what we use every night to get him to sleep. I think its supposed to be a babbling brook - but it really just sounds like static with some tinkling noise in the background. But, hey, whatever works.
7) Brilliant Ellis thought to put one of Will's Snuzzlers in the swing. It worked! This is the second day Will has napped in the swing, which is where he is right now. Yea! The boy LOVES to be rocked, so we both just have to believe he can love that swing.
8) Thankfully, Will loves the car. He usually gets quiet when you strap him in the car seat and put it in the car, staring around in bewilderment or staring at himself in the mirror above the car seat. Normally, he is out within about 5-10 minutes of driving, especially when you hit the highway. He also sleeps when having "cart-rides" at the stores I take him to. He may wake up as soon as I put him in the cart and I think, "Oh God, this is it. I'm going to see what its like when he pitches a fit in public," and then he closes his eyes and drifts to sleep. It's almost like the stores are a little too much for him to take in.
I know there are other things that I wanted to post, but I can't think of them now. Since this blog is really his "baby book," I'm trying to keep a journal of his early life on it. (Because, really, when will I have time to do a good job of keeping up a baby book?! I haven't even gotten Will's birth announcement together!! )
2 comments:
Great update!
That was such a cute video! I can't believe how big he has gotten! I'm glad that ya'll are doing well - it is hard to believe that just a short while ago we were both pregnant!
Post a Comment