I can't believe my maternity leave has come to an end. These three months flew by. On one hand, I am looking forward to getting back to work and being with grown-ups all day. On the other hand, I also know I am really going to miss having every day to spend with little Will. I know that balancing work with him will be difficult for a while, but I am sure (at least I hope!) we will work it out.
Will is 13 1/2 weeks old, and already Ellis and I are looking back at the first two and a half months and are able to say "wow - remember when..." (Like - remember when you had to stay up holding Will with a boppy pillow in your lap and Will in your arms until 2 or 3am while I got sleep, and then passed him off to me at 3am? or remember when I couldn't go anywhere with Will without worrying that he would scream the minute I walked in the door? or remember when Will cried all day long and there was nothing we could do to stop it? or remember driving Will to sleep at 2am round and round our neighborhood with me in my pjs in the backseat holding a pacifier in his mouth?) I will admit that it was tough, particularly with Will's tummy problems, those first two months. But it is really true - after about 11 or 12 weeks, things do get amazingly easier and, with every smile and coo from you baby, your mind begins to forget how hard it really was in the beginning because it is so wonderful now. I really love this age (stinks that now is when my maternity leave is over). But once your baby begins to acknowledge you and interact with you -- words can't describe it. Now, I know I really really love Will. I love him so much, my heart hurts, and thats about the only way I can describe it.
So, as my maternity leave comes to an end, here are the current "milestones" of my little boy:
1) He can roll over to his side and back again to his back. He often rolls on his side and stays there for a while to play.
2) He loves to suck on his whole hand or a finger or two. He has not found his thumb and is still working on coordinating his fingers. He loves to grab a burp cloth that is in his lap or a toy and bring it to his mouth to "taste" it. Other times, he'll jab his fingers in his mouth to the point he almost chokes himself!
3) He loves bathtime. Just in the last couple of days, he has learned how to splash with his legs and feet. Its hysterical.
4) So far, my boy is finally sleeping well at night, and just in time for both of us heading back to work. See the blog entry below about this.
5) Will still only sleeps in his car seat. He sometimes sleeps in his swing during the day for naps. I used to try every once in a while to get him to sleep in his crib - but he would fall asleep and then suddenly startle awake. He does this over and over again until he wears you out (and gets himself upset). He won't sleep in there despite the fact we have bought ever contraption on the planet to try and snuggle him in the crib.
6) Will's favorite "play thing" is a face (whether its yours or his in a mirror). Making faces at him and acting goofy is still the best thing to make him smile. Just recently, he has become fascinated with sounds that you can make too. Just yesterday, he learned to say "oo" like an owl. It was hysterical and I tried to capture it on video - but he stopped every time I turned the camera on. He'd sit there and pucker up his lips and just go "oo" "oo" "oo" over and over.
7) Will's favorite toy is this music and light thing on his activity gym. It hangs over him when he is laying down on the activity matt and plays music with lights. He loves that - makes noises, swats at toys and stares at the lights.
8) Will now loves to be carried more like you would carry a child upright - on your hip and over your shoulder. He just holds his head up and looks around everywhere. Its so much easier to carry him that way! (And adorable when he falls asleep like that.)
9) He loves his Bumpo seat. We put him in that a lot during the day. He just sits in it on the kitchen counter and watches me make lunch, do the dishes, etc.
10) I think Will is going to be a handful when he can crawl and walk. He is just so active. When he is awake, he just kicks and kicks and wiggles and wiggles! And he fights sleep hard - I think he is afraid he'll miss something.
11) He has outgrown all his cute little newborn and 3 month clothes. Stinks to have to put all of that away already! He is a long little baby - so he wears 6 month pajamas. If you put him in pajamas with feet that impedes his kicking ability in any way - he will fuss at you and cry until you change him.
12) Napping during the day varies. He usually sleeps in his swing during the day, although sometmes he still just wants a pair of arms to crash in. He usually is awake for about an hour or an hour and half and is then ready for a nap. Nap time is anywhere from a quick 15 minute power nap to a 2 hour long sleep.
13) Drool and spit bubbles! This boy is loves to slobber. God knows what its going to be like when he starts teething!
So there you have it. Ready or not working world - here I come!
Saturday, March 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hang in there, Em!! Take it a day at a time and don't feel bad calling to check on him during the day!! I'll be thinking of you!
I am jealous of that long maternity leave! I will be thinking about you tommorrow- the first day really is the worst.
I am thinking about you today!
deep breath. i know that everyone will be SO happy to have you back, but i also know how hard it is. i cried a lot when i first went back, after both my girls, but i could usually hold off until i got in the car on the way home. good luck first day back. i'll be thinking about you! call me if you need to chat. :)
I know you'll be okay Emily. Just throw yourself into back into things and you'll make it through. I've been crying for a week now because Sydney is 1 today!!! I honestly think this milestone is harder for me than going back to work. I'm probably weird that way. I hope you're happy with Will's daycare situation. That made all the difference in the world to me. I knew Sydney was okay and with great people and that eased my mind. And yes...I called to check on her every day for a week:)
Post a Comment