Wednesday morning was really hard for me seeing the girls in their little "houses" with all of the tubes and monitors, especially seeing Carter that way. I think it just hit me of what my little daughters were going through and how long it would be before I could put them in a cute outfit in the comfort of their real home. We are grateful that none of their problems seem to be life threatening and its just a matter of time for them to improve and come home, but it is still hard.
Carter is about the same and still has to wear the CPAP. She is very sensitive and typically gets upset if anyone touches her. However, she really likes for us to let her grasp a finger (especially Daddy's finger). Today, I was able to change her diaper - doing something that simple was great! It was the most hands-on contact I'd had with her so far. We really do not have a lot of pictures of her yet because she generally is on her back with the CPAP and tubes covering her face. We'll have them soon enough though!
Catie is improving greatly. She does not have any breathing issues, although she has a small tube still in her nose to provide a little oxygen to insure she stays that way. She is still very dependent on her fluids, apparently. Her IV keeps coming out and, when it does, her glucose level falls.
Both girls are under light therapy for their bilirubin levels. They look like they are sunbathing with their little "sunglasses" now. They also are now being fed breastmilk (not just getting fluids) every 3 hours. My milk is coming in very well, which is awesome!
Catie "sunbathing"
We have gotten some freakin' cute pictures of little Catie during the moments she has nursed:


My parents have brought Will by for a few minutes each evening to visit. He is intrigued by everything in my room and generally continues to be a bit confused about exactly where the girls are. Tomorrow, I will be discharged and headed home. Then will come the really difficult part - logistically - of getting down to the hospital to be with the girls while we have a 3 year old who cannot come with us. Its going to be a trying time for the next few weeks, but we'll figure it out - just taking it one day at a time! I thank God they continue to be healthy and improve!
4 comments:
Yay for the update! I am so glad you are able to nurse Catie! Wahoo! The pics are wonderful!!!!
I've been thinking about you and am so excited to hear the update! You'll be nursing both those girls before you know it! :) PS- I need to know how they do those hats with bows on them!
Congratulations, Emily! Your girls are beautiful. I understand how you are feeling today--I had to leave Alex at the hospital for 18 days and work out the logistics of visiting every day and taking care of a 15 month old. I promise it seems to work itself out and hopefully the time will fly! The good news is you will recover very quickly because you will be so focused on taking care of you babies. Take care! Stacy Owings
Aww!!! I can't wait to see them again tomorrow!!
Post a Comment